Monday, February 22, 2010

HW 2-21

1.
Firstly what I found interesting was the section on Subliminal messages. I've often wondered, simply, if it worked or not and how often it is used. Thanks to Ad Nauseam I know the simple answers, no it doesn't work, and it isn't actually used for that precise reason. I think the endurance of the myth has to do more with the money riding on its coattails, than any veracity.
Secondly, was Lysol's dubious past as an extremely painful and crude spermicide. Sure Lysol kills sperm, it kills everything and would burn your skin, I cringe.
Thirdly was the eye-opening brazenness of Johnnie Walker's advertising. They were clearly trying to craft an image for consumers to inhabit, oh and that image happens to drink scotch, just btw.
My question for section five is, considering how substances deemed medicine in the past are poison in the present (heroin for example) how can we be sure we aren't doing the same thing to ourselves today with new pills and drugs?
My question for section six is, finishing the book I wonder what the next step is. It is perhaps an open-ended question, but what can we do next, does a savvy consumer live a different life?
2.
a.
Johnson's thesis is; Twitter has created a platform of communication that advances ambient awareness in important ways, but ultimately more important is the innovative ways individuals adapt this new technology to new ways.
b.
In support of Johnson I applaud the use of Twitter to create shadow conversations that can work as a set of citations for a conversation, it's exciting. I also like the idea of using Twitter to engage in nation-wide dialogues about issues like education, the connecting and sharing of ideas is always good.
Against Johnson I have this; that nation-wide dialogue would unfortunately be limited to a small demographic who have the access to Twitter, and the know-how and motivation to use it. This limits the number of participants in this conversation. Additionally, I worry that any digital intimacy we might be receiving from our tweets is replacing physical intimacy, a far more important commodity.
c.
I don't personally use Twitter, but that was mainly because I couldn't find a use for it, the idea of the shadow conversation is intriguing though, and I can now see the place this technology is beginning to occupy.
3.
Five things I learned from the Merchants of Cool
1. The Mook is a fabricated calculated character. I was unware of his hollow nature and origins.
2. Limp Bizkit was also helped significantly on their rise to fame, I never listened to them, but I knew of them, I'd no idea they were so propped up.
3. The idea of a feedback loop is a frightening concept. The MTV Spring Break being an example of it, they make it exciting by showing it non-stop for the other 50 weeks of the year it isn't being filmed.
4. The idea of companies paying people to talk up their products online or gather information about them is unnerving, I won't give them any more ammo.
5. The Midriff just seems to reinforce awful appearance-oriented values that only seem to give rise to more and more consuming.

1 comment:

  1. 1. LOVED your ending questions! Right on about today's prescribed drugs... eek!
    2. Good points about access and the tradeoff regarding digital vs. physical intimacy.
    3. So how do we help today's teens navigate and survive the marketing machine??

    ReplyDelete